I thought I was the perfect parent...then I had children. (Anon)

MotherLoad to MotherLove is the title of my (yet to be published) motherhood book.
Mum Sanctuary is the video blog that saved my sanity.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Tresillian saves the day...

...and my sanity...and probably my family.
Four nights at Tresillian has changed my life. I've just spent four intensive days and nights under the angelic wings of Tresillian staff at their residential facility in Penrith. It was a weird Twilight Zone experience in a way as it's right next to the hospital where I was born and gave birth to Amy. It's just off the street I grew up on and once upon a time on the same grounds was the preschool I attended.
My time there with 8 1/2 mth old Amy was brilliant. It was like spending time with a bunch of caring aunts who had all the time and knowledge in the world, but yet still let bub and I work at our own pace.
When they asked me what I wanted like: 'what time would YOU like to wake up in the morning?' I was a little shocked. I thought it was all about bub and what she needed. It was refreshing to see they were interested in what I wanted for bub and me too.
The first night was bloody hard. She cried for a whole hour, with plenty of tears and some soothing and settling from me. What was great was that the staff were right there with me at settling time and encouraged me to do what felt right for me. They encouraged me to start using my instinct again and watch and listen to my bub - instead of watching the clock.
They also ran brilliant courses. I went to three: stress management, toddler tactics and connecting with your baby. These were all fantastic and were a great time to get honest with a bunch of mums (and some dads) with nothing to lose and everything to gain!
There was one couple with twin six month old boys, a couple of almost three year olds with expectant mums, an exhausted single mum and some very stressed parents. I was in good company and sharing our stories really helped lighten the load.
As the days went on there was a common chorus of gratitude not only for sleep and support, but for the growing confidence. Focusing solely on bub for four days - not housework, food prep, etc - was a gift. I started to see how she behaved and understand what she needed. And, for the first time in months, I was really enjoying her company. When she woke I loved seeing her again and playing with her, spending time together.
(Several parents agreed with my verdict that it was nice to want to see and spend time with bub rather than sighing or swearing each time you hear them wake - yet again - for your attention).
Amy progressed really quickly and on day two she took only a few minutes to settle. By day three she was sleeping 12 - yes you heard it folks, 12 hours - at night and about 3 hours during the day. She was no longer needing the breast to sleep, self settled beautifully and ate like a trooper!
Not all the bubs and toddlers around us responded that quickly. Some took a little longer and others seemed to improved then went backwards a little. Aparently that's pretty normal and I think in the scheme of things Amy was just really ready. So I'm grateful for the outcome. All the parents I spoke to, even those whose bubs weren't quite there, felt they had so much more information and confidence to work towards a better night's sleep. A couple of mums I connected with extended their stay by a couple of days in order to get a little more prepared before heading home.
It was an absolute priveledge to cross path with other mums and dads walking the parenting path and doing whatever they can to save their sleep, their sanity and their families/ marriages.

The day I returned home, I headed out to the shops to pick up a few things and the U2 song 'It's a beautiful day' came on the radio. I cranked it up and sang my heart out, tears of relief and joy rolling down my face. I pulled into my mum's house (on the way) for a cuddle and was so overwhelmed I could hardly speak. When my poor neices asked 'what's wrong with auntie Lyndal?' my mum answered: 'Amy's sleeping at last!'.
I've got my mumjo back!!!!!!!!!!!
Even in these first few days at home, I can already see I'll have more time for Lily in th evenings(turning 7 on Friday). There's already more predictability and laughter in our house, less stress and arguements. All is well in our world, for now...
Tresillian's website: http://www.tresillian.net/
24 hour helpline: 9787 0855/ 1800 637 357

No comments:

Post a Comment