I thought I was the perfect parent...then I had children. (Anon)

MotherLoad to MotherLove is the title of my (yet to be published) motherhood book.
Mum Sanctuary is the video blog that saved my sanity.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Foods and Moods

Came across a really interesting article in issue # 126 of WellBeing Magazine about foods and moods. It was timely as I'm on a mission to 'Tame the Dragon' (dragony fire-breathing sleep deprived bitch) I've been for a way too long now.
The article looked at British studies, one of which is The Food and Mood project, which ran from 1998 to 2009, looking at the links between diet and nutrition and mental and emotional health.
Subjects saw reductions in anxiety, depression, mood swings, food cravings and PMS. And a new study published in the British Journal of Psychiatry (2009) suggests food should play a greater role in preventing depresssive disorders.
Neoru-psychological symptoms or illnesses that can be caused or worsened by foods included: mood swings, behavious disorders, anxiety and panic attacks, hyperactivity, poor memory, concentration, sleep disorders, migraine, poor co-ordination, numbness & tingling and fatigue.
Apart from the obvious culprits of food additives, preservatives we hear so much about in relation to children and behaviour, of greatest surprise was the effect 'healthy foods' such as milk, wheat and - for some people - things such as broccoli, corn, cheese and tomatoes.
The article has some really useful information on how to load up on mood enhancing vitamins and minerals and points clearly to folate (thought this was only important before/ during pregnancy), B6 and B12, and iron as well as omega 3 and 6. Also talked about foods for concentration, relaxation and energy, as well as the greatest depressors (processed meat, chocolate (NO!!!), sweets, fried foods, refined foods and high-fat dairy, alcohol).
Now, all of this can be a bit overwhelming. I know six years ago when I developed a 'intolerance' to Amines, a natural chemical found in loads of foods, I found it all a little too daunting to deal with. (I wasn't aware 'till recently that women of child-bearing age are more susceptible to food intolerances because of the hormonal influence).
I did the elimination diet in order to identify the amine problem but after that I simply used my skin as a measure. If I wasn't breaking out in hives or large welts, unattractive swollen eyes, or the odd botox-looking lip, I thought I was OK.
But, now I'm thinking the skin was my body's most dramatic way of showing me it didn't like what I was eating. (Incidently, amines are found in all my favourite foods: chocolate, wine, cheese, avocado, tomato, olives, oilve oil, take-away Thai).
I'm now wondering whether the 'panic attacks' that started at the beginning of my pregnancy last year could have been at least partly the result of diet. And whether the post-natal depression I've experienced with Amy was due at least in part to my diet, or could have been reduced somewhat through my diet. After all, I've been freely eating chocolate, avos, tomatoes, olive oil with no obvious physical side effects.
As for the mental/ emotional side, according to the Food Intolerance Network, eating the foods your body can't tolerate well can lead to: headaches, anxiety, depression, lethargy, panic attacks, irritability, restlessness, mood swings. Well, that's been me in a nutshell (a nut in a nutshell!)
Then there's the LIVER to consider. The Chinese call the liver the army seargeant and the 'seat of anger'. An unhappy liver can cause severe emotional distress, resulting in mood swings, irritability, depression, dizziness, headaches, even suicidal tentencies.
So, if you or your kids are showing signs of any of the above, and your instinct tells you it might be something to do with food, you might want to look at:

In the meatime, I've simply cut out chocolate, cheese and wheat for three days and can't believe how much clearer my head is...and the dragony fire-breathing bitch has retreated to her cave (for now, anyway!).

Lyndal

No comments:

Post a Comment